Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Can you babysit?

Elaina arrives at my shower curtain as I am showering. She is holding a stuffed dog: "Um, do you think you could babysit my puppy?" Me: "Sure, why don't you go put it down on my bed for a nap so I can finish showering." (May as well play along,because to her this is all VERY real.) Elaina: "Well, she really needs you to hold her and take of her. She is sick and needs medicine." Me: "Really? What is wrong with her?" Elaina: "Well, she is having a problem with going to the bathroom." Me: "Really, what is the problem." (I HAVE to know) Elaina: "Well, she can't poop." Me: "Oh, well did she eat something weird? Elaina: "Ya, grass and other stuff from outside.She needs some medicine Just keep her in her kennel, and take her outside on a leash if she needs to go out, then bring her back in." Me: "Really?" This puppy sitting is getting a little serious. This evening Elaina shushed the whole family at the dinner table, because we were going to wake her three sleeping (stuffed) puppies. I must help her get her vet degree or I will feel like such a failure! Also I don't want to forget: -Charlie and Ben are becoming such good buddies, and were so enjoyable today with me. They were angels as we had brunch with my friend at an outdoor cafe. They laughed most of the day together at the park running around and later at home wrestling eachother. It is like raising Scotty and Jack again - only this time I am a bit more laid back. This is a real perk of having a big family. You get to sort of do it twice, or maybe 3 times or more, and each time you raise a toddler, hopefully you learned something from the time you did it before. Of course there are always the little drawbacks, like Ben and Charlie not having as much reading time with mom, or learning letters early with mom, or building blocks on the floor as much with busy mom. But I'm feeling it is an even exchange ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment