Friday, September 24, 2010

One point for Mom

Conversation with Jack: Jack: Mom, I am soooooo mad! Mom: Why? Jack? Jack: Well, do you know all the things the new principal is changing?! Mom: I think I know some of them. They seem like good changes. Jack: Well, I am NOT going to school the day after Halloween. We always get the day after Halloween off, and it is not fair! Mom: Well, you have to, so stop complaining about it. Jack: I am just going to eat a bunch of candy the night before and stay up late and be sick the next day because I will have a headache and throw up. Then I won't have to go to school. Mom: What other changes are bothering you? Jack: When the new principal comes outside at recess and says "St. Peter!" We have to yell, "Pray for us!" Mom: Well that sounds great! Why would you not want to pray? Praying is super, and it is a good thing that makes us all feel good. Jack: Ok, well that one isn't really bad. But he also makes the boys hold the doors for the girls and the girls get to go out to recess first! Mom: That sounds good. You have a sister. Don't you want the boys to treat her nicely? Don't you want her to learn that she should always want to be with people who are gentlemen? Jack: Well, yes, that is ok too. But I am REALLY mad about not getting the day off after Halloween. Mom: Well if you are that upset, then you should set up a meeting with your principal, and politely talk to him about it and I am sure he will explain his reasons to you, and you can tell him how you feel. Or, you can write him a very polite letter inquiring about why the change was put into place. He probably won't change it but maybe you will understand each other a little better. Jack: I'm going to do that. I am going to write him a letter. Mom: OK. But I should tell you that before I decide to talk to the principal or a teacher about something, I think about how important it is to me. I would hate for something more important to come up, and then you end up wanting to talk to the principal again, and then the principal doesn't take you seriously, because he may see you as a complainer, or "the boy who cried wolf." You want to save your arguments for something that is REALLY important to you. 5 minutes later Jack: I am not going to write that letter. I have something much more important I need to talk to him about. Mom: What is that? Jack: I want him to get us a crossing guard at Kirkwood Road so that you will let me ride my bike to school. Mom: Perfect. I think I may have just won one.

No comments:

Post a Comment