Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Giving in

I go to pick up my daughter from her friend's house. They were setting up the snow cone machine when I arrived. As I tell her that I am sorry and that we really have to get home to get her homework finished before Daddy takes her out to dinner, she begins to get that lip quiver. She reluctantly thanks the hosts and sulks away to the car. When we get into the car she says, "We were having soooooo much fun, and the you just PULLED UP in your CAR!" I felt so horrible, so mean, like the cruelest mom ever. As I watched the tears go down her cheeks, and her lip turn down so sad, I hear myself saying, "How much homework do you have?" "Just ONE PIECE! Mom." I start pulling back into their driveway. Today, I just couldn't be the one who ruined her fun. I just couldn't be the one who made her miss out on a real snow cone made right there at her friend's house. I will likely pay for this the next time she wants to "stay a little longer" at her friend's house, but I will be a stronger, sterner mom on that day. Just felt like being the sweet mom today. I have the right to change my mind. I remember learning that in grade school.

No comments:

Post a Comment