Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Basketball

So, I am playing basketball with my girlfriends again this season. We meet, split into two teams and scrimmage for an hour. It is super fun, and great exercise. What does this have to do with my kids? Well, I think it is good for my kids to see me doing something healthy, active and fun for myself. I want my kids to get into sports, realize that their mom can teach them something about sports and have as much fun with sports in their lives as I have in mine. They can play any sport they want, it doesn't have to be a sport I played or play, as long as they play at, work hard at and become familiar with some sport. There are so many good things that sports teach kids. And the lessons go beyond teamwork and competitiveness. They can learn a lot about self discipline. Working extra on a shot or a swim stroke on their own after practice can get them comfortable with not always being the best at something from the get go, but working to better oneself. The same may apply to their situation in the classroom, and so begin to make them more comfortable understanding that they have to work harder at some things than other kids, but that is ok. And on the other hand, if perhaps their sport becomes something they excel more easily in than others do, then they learn both compassion and understanding for their peers and also gain some self confidence by having something they are really good at, be a part of their life. I tend to believe there is some sport for every person. And finding at least one for each of our kids is my goal. So far they want to try everything, so I guess soon I will be wishing they would narrow down their choices. But for now, we are into it: Soccer Volleyball Basketball Lacrosse Swimming Wu Shu (a type of Kung Fu) Baseball Golf Also I don't want to forget: -Charlie (2) is really into saying "No Way!" He crosses his arms over his chest and puts on the cutest pouty face and says "No Way, Mom!" whenever he doesn't want to do something, or just doesn't like the plan I am laying out before him. For instance: "Charlie, this restaurant has chicken!" "No Way Mom!" "Well, yes they do, and you like chicken..." "No Way!" "Oooooo, and you can sit in this big highchair and have an applejuice!" "No Way Mom! I no hab applejuice. I walk and I hab you soda." He usually gets his way because I am so impressed by his ability to express what he wants and doesn't want so clearly at age 2. So I am sure he will be quite the stinker of a 3 yr old. I should probably crack down...He just melts me. -Tonight after quite the scene, where Charlie screamed at the babysitter that he wanted mommy (who was downstairs working) to lay down with him in his bed, and continued screaming at the top of his lungs and crying for what seemed like forever, I finally went upstairs and laid down with him. He immediately snuggled into me and looked me in the eyes and said, "I lub you mom." in the calmest voice ever. "I like you mom." How can I compete with THAT!? A mother does not have the kind of reserves needed to compete on that level. He is goooood. He is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment