Monday, November 1, 2010

HALLOWEEN

Every year I'm the "candy-giver-outer" and my husband and Father in law take the kids trick or treating. But this year we switched it up and left my inlaws, manned with wine, beer and a huge bowl of candy, to give out the candy in front of the house near our fire pit, in front of our Halloween display in the front yard, while my husband and I headed into the neighborhood with the kids to beg for candy. Outfitted as a headless horseman, a hobo, a cat princess, a Dracula and a super monkey, the kids and my husband and I set off as soon as it began to get dark with a wagon in tow in case the super monkey got tired. The big kids would run ahead and we would try to count heads in the dark, praying all the while that they would stop at streets and stay together. The little ones would enchant the homes with their mixed up jokes and little songs. And super monkey, well, he would spend time enjoying every Halloween decoration all the way up to the houses and all the way back down. At one house he insisted on petting every pumpkin light all the way down the driveway. He also had 3 things he had to say at every house. And he would always say them, although not always in the correct order - but that made it even funnier - "Wick o tweet. Wank you. Happy Halloweens!" At one point Scotty was taking a long time at one of the homes. My husband says, hurry up Scott, what's taking you so long? He says, "Dad, I am telling my jokes and saying thank you." THAT child I will claim. A couple others who said their obligatory "trick or treat" and dug for their favorite candy in the bowl - well, at least they weren't smashing pumpkins. All that sugar in their bellies and friends tagging along, and excitement about the next house - I'm surprised they could speak at ALL. And this all brings us to this morning. Trying to get them out of bed for school. One has already mentioned a belly-ache, and one is still snoozing and won't budge. Super Monkey somehow is rearing to go though. I guess the fact that he ate each piece of candy as he received it at each house somehow has not affected him negatively in the least...well, other than the fact that making it through mass this morning on the sugar high he is on should be an adventure. Happy Halloween. Time to put up the Thanksgiving decorations and begin playing the Christmas music!

No comments:

Post a Comment