Sunday, November 7, 2010

Visiting Highschools

Today my husband and I took our 6th grader to some high school open houses. We had our 4th grader tag along. We gave Scotty a pep talk if you will about remembering to politely shake hands and look people in the eye when he spoke. After today, my husband and I realize we will not have to give the same pep talk to our 4th grader when it is his turn to tour the schools. While being given tours by faculty and students, Scotty kept very quiet, just grinning when Science Lab was mentioned, and eyebrows raising as we entered the library and the Mac labs. However, Jack was an animated listener with a flood of questions. Below are just a few things that came out of his mouth during the tours. Some were mentioned only to my husband and I, but the others were asked to the tour guides, along with many more questions (at least one per being asked "are there any questions?") throughout the day. When we're in high school, will we have to shave? Can you be a sophomore and date a junior? Do high schools have weekends? Summer? This school is worth having to go to school. I'm not saving up for a car I'm saving up for college. Where did you get that idea for the Bilikin? Does this school have a theme? Do you celebrate things here? (After being given a big talk from a counselor about scholarships and collage choices after their school) What are we talking about here? Are we talking about getting good grades? Jack also asked questions in the Science lab, the Art room, the cafeteria, the theater, the gym, the hallways, the game room, really pretty much everywhere. So, I feel today was a success on a couple of levels. We got to see a couple schools. Scotty got to check out what high school has to offer. And the big perk: Jack is excited about going to high school and at least for the moment is determined to get good grades so he can make it into a cool high school like he saw today. Also I don't want to forget: -Charlie just insisted so strongly that his dad's toothbrush was his, that I finally just said, ok, fine it is yours. -I cut Ben and Charlie's hair tonight. Charlie just saw his hair all over the floor and I keep hearing him say, "That my hair down there!" -All through mass and on the way out of church Jack kept trying to tell me something and I kept shushing him. When we got out of mass Jack was really ready to talk. I said, what is it and he begins to say this, "Mom, does Sophia (his friend of like 8 years who he has quite a crush on) have her ears pierced?" I tell him I am not sure, and he tells me, "Well, can you find out, because I would like to get her a pair of earrings for Christmas?" What is going on? He is nine! I mention that perhaps he's a little young to give a girl jewelry, but he just chuckles and says something about it just being a friendly gift or something. Can't decide if I think this is ok or not. I think I think it is fine. I mean I actually like the fact that he really thinks about what she would want for a gift, and wants to make her happy. He is going to make a very romantic, good husband some day. But in the mean time I may just lock him in his room until he is like 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment