Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Run

After finding a bunch of empty candy wrappers in my sons' room, I took my 2 big boys on a run tonight, after a big lecture about eating healthier etc. Here is how the conversation went on the little 2mi run: Me: Ok guys, we're going to do 2 miles running and walking a bit. Son 1: 2? I think we should start with 1 mi this week, 2 mi next week and 3 mi on the 3rd week and then we will be ready for the Turkey Day run. Me: Nope, we're doing 2 tonight. We will walk here and there, but mostly run. Son 2: I feel great! This is awesome! I don't want to walk, I could run all night, I could run backwards (he runs backwards), I could run while talking, I could go faster, want to go faster? (he goes faster) Me: Settle down. Son 1: (huffing and puffing) Is it time to walk now? Me: Nope. You guys are doing great. Keep it up. We are just getting warmed up. Son 1: You said we would walk AND run, not just run for a long time... Me: Relax, you are doing fine. You have to push yourself a little bit. Son 2: I LOVE this! (he starts highkicking his knees as he runs) I think we should run the whole way, mom, want to just run the whole thing, never walk? Son 1: NO! You said we would walk too! When are we going to walk?! Me: You guys are doing awesome, now we are warm. Lets keep running for a while. Son 1: Grrrr. Me: I tell you what, I think you guys can finish running this 1st mile. It is just 4 blocks away, lets run till the end of the 1st mile, then we will walk a quarter mile, run a quarter mile, walk a quarter mile, run a quarter mile? K? Son 2: That sounds great! Or we could just run the whole second mile, I could run the whole thing. Me: No, I said we would walk some, we will speed walk. but we are going to walk a little. Son 1: (Sigh of relief) Me: Come on guys we are almost there, you can do it! We reach the end of the first mile. Boys are proud of themselves. I begin to speedwalk and they follow suit. Me: We are going to speed walk till the end of this street, then start running ok? Son 1: OK! Son 2: OK! We start running again. Both boys are doing well. They are in a rhythm and don't even complain much for the quarter mile run. (which is actually longer than a quarter mile, and the walk was shorter). Me: Ok, when we get to the street ahead we will walk again. We get within 10 steps of the street: Son 1: Ok, time to walk! Son 2: I can carry on an entire conversation, mom, I can talk this whole time and just keep talking, and never stop, what do you want to chat about, want to chat? Me: Well, so can I, but I am not going to! Son 1: (laughing) Me: You guys are doing super. One more block then we are running till we get to our house. We begin running. Son 1: Huff, huff puff. Me: Are your shoes untied? Have they been all loose and barely tied the whole run? Son 1: Yes. Me: Honey! That is not good for your feet, plus that makes you slower. You should always have your shoes tied tightly and snuggly for a run. Son 1: Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... Me: Feet hurt? Son 1: No, my side. Too much dinner. Me: Breathe steady, in your nose, out your mouth. Son 2: That's what I do. I take a big breath in my nose, then blow it out my mouth. That's how you are supposed to breathe when you run. When I ran track (for one year) we used to run like this for practice. (and he begins running sideways crossing his feet over one another). Me: Fabulous dear, but it is dark and you are going to sprain an ankle. Son 2: Ya, my ankle hurts right now, and my back, but I am totally fine, I'm just going to keep going through the pain. I am totally fine! Son 1: Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Me: You have to let me push you a little. You know, when I go to the gym, there are people there who yell at me, "Go Julie! You can do it! Pick up that bar! Finish it! You can do it! Let's go!" Son 1: That would make me mad to have people yelling at me. Why do you go back there? Me: No! They are helping me do my best. If I had let you quit when you wanted to, you would have stopped at the first street. And look at you, you have almost finished 2 miles! We are almost there, guys, you are doing super great! Awesome! Very good first run. And we get to the house and they crash on the sofa with water, and frankly, I am barely winded, so I am very proud of myself for being in better shape than a 9 and 11 yr old, but also super ashamed for my kids being in such crappy shape! (admittedly, the 9 yr old did well), but really, I remember being able to run forever as a kid. Today there are too many damn video games. And too much homework, and too much TV. When I was little we played outside when it was cold, we just wore a jacket. There was nothing to do inside anyway. And nothing good on tv till after dinner. Lately I think my kids have plenty of fun stuff to do inside, so they may play outside for a bit, but when they get bored or chilly, instead of thinking of something else to play outside, they know they have go-to fun right inside the door. I'm cracking down...and just in time for winter...this should be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Julie! I know what you mean, too. Dragging J. away from TV and video games is a full-on experience. This summer, I instituted a TV/video game free zone--none of either during school hours. Once he knew it wasn't an option, it was a lot easier to get him to a) accept it and b) do other things.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete