Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Book Report

This evening Jack and I went to a coffee house to work on his report on a book that he said that he finished reading 2 weeks ago. This is how it went down: Mom: So, you need to make an outline, a list, of what happened in the book in the order that it happened and then we can begin to write the script for your puppet show (the form he chose to do his report in). Jack hands me a paper he has been working on. I read it. Mom: So, what happens at the end. Jack: Ummmmmm, I just can't remember. Mom: Does he die? Does he come back home? Jack: Ummm, ya, I don't know. I can't seem to remember what happened. You know, maybe I didn't actually finish reading it. Mom: Are you kidding me? You lied to me? Jack: Oh no. I didn't lie. I think I thought I finished it because I didn't see any pages marked to show where I was, so I think I just thought I finished, but I don't think I really did, because I can't remember what happens. Mom: Great Jack. You now have this evening to finish the book, and only tomorrow to make puppets, a puppet theater, write the script and practice presenting it. Jack: Ya. He begins reading. He oos and ahhhs as he reads. He literally says out loud, "oh that's sad" and "whoa, this is a sad part" as he is reading it in front of me. Jack: Mom, this is really fun reading here with you, I love you. Thanks for bringing me here to do this. How am I supposed to come down as hard as I feel I need to when he is thanking me and telling me he loves me? He is more clever than he lets on.

No comments:

Post a Comment