Sunday, November 7, 2010

Honey and Nail Polish

Mom: "Charlie, why did you put honey all over your legs and all over the floor?" Charlie: (smiling with pride) "Charlie did it!" Mom: "Charlie, why did you do it?" Charlie: "I no hab honey on my legs." Mom: "I know, Charlie, I washed it off. But why did you do it?" Charlie: "Mommy wash off." Mom: "Yes, I washed it off. Do you like honey?" Charlie: "NO." Mom: "What DO you like?" Charlie: "Apples, Bannas, boffles." And the conversation continues like this for forever, where Charlie endears me with his cuteness and wriggles out of any sort of sticky situation he may have been in because he endears me with his speech impediments and smiles. A similar conversation was also had the next day. I came home from a photo shoot to the smell of ...what was it?...turpentine? Paint remover? Alcohol? Nail polish remover? Bingo on all of the above. My husband is on the floor amidst a 3 foot by 8 foot puddle of goo gone etc and he is saying, "YOUR son is a little TERROR! YOUR son just tried to paint his own toenails and spilled nail polish everywhere." I look right and I see the destruction on the wood floor. I look left and there are my knee-high black leather boots covered in pink and sparkle nail polish. I look dead ahead and there he is, the culprit, grinning ear to ear and sporting a rainbow of pinks covering his feet, legs, and belly. "Charlie, are you supposed to paint your toenails?" Charlie: with pride, "I did it!" At least he takes responsibility. Just trying to look at the positives. And how about these positives to boot: Charlie is very comfortable with his parents. He doesn't have an unhealthy fear of us (although a little fear might be ok at some point). Charlie knows what foods are healthy, honey is actually quite good for you. Charlie is a smart boy, I mean he managed to make these 2 huge messes and then be so incredibly cute in explaining himself that we just hug him. Hug him?! Seriously? I can guarantee that a HUG is one thing I did NOT get after I made a huge mess as a child. We better start cracking down. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment