Friday, November 5, 2010

Girls Night Out

Elaina and a friend of hers both have October birthdays. So, in lieu of a big huge party of all the girls in both classes, and in lieu of inviting just a few girls over and hurting all the other girls' feelings, her friend's mother and I decided we would just take our 2 daughters out on the town together to celebrate. A genius idea really. I mean, they absolutely LOVED dressing up in their party clothes, eating in a fancy restaurant, then heading back to my empty house (boys were at a late movie) to have a fancy dessert, open the gifts they picked out for each other, watch Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses, and have their toenails done by their moms while wearing my big fluffy robes. And bonus, I absolutely loved it too! After the kids being on the "wrong" side of a couple birthday party invitations, I have a hard time with the whole birthday party situation in the younger grades. As the kids get older I suppose they begin to make closer friends, and end up in a smaller tight-knit group, but until then, I just don't seem to have it in me to leave anyone out. We are so lucky to have such a nice large group of cousins for our kids to share their birthdays with. We get to theme the family parties for them, and then really try to make their birthday special in ways other than some big friend shindig where we have to make difficult decisions about whom to invite and how many etc. Tonight was lovely, and I believe Elaina will remember this evening as a very special birthday, and it was spent with one good friend and 2 moms. Thank you Lord for the gift of simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and I am sure she will cherish that memory for years to come.

    ReplyDelete